disclaimer - This page is a work in progress…
The City of Three Forks is home to seven parks, covering just over 9-acres. These parks offer a wide variety of recreational and outdoor opportunities. All are easily accessible by pedestrian traffic through city streets, or you can walk along the Headwaters Trial System to access the furthest parks.
“Parks” are defined in the simplest term we could: a park, playground, recreational facility, pond areas, or any other area in the city, developed or undeveloped, owned or used by the city, and devoted to active or passive recreation.
The City maintains the public parks by irrigating, mowing, trimming trees and bushes, spraying for weeds and insects in both the trees and grass, and replacing trees and playground equipment as needed. This costs the taxpayers an average of $40,000 each year. To protect the citizens’ investments in parks the City established a fee to reserve some of the City’s park assets.
A description of each park is below.
Located on West Adams Street, between Colorado and Dakota Streets, this half-block of land was purchased in 1970. In 1971 Gene and Lois Crowe asked the City Council to turn this land into a city park. At that time the City was split in wards with two representatives serving each ward. Edna Helton and Ben Peterson were both Council members of Ward 3. Mrs. Helton made the motion, seconded by Mr. Peterson, to dedicate the land as a city park.
Cub Scout Troop #680 hand seeded the half block of land with grass seed as its community service project. They also planted the trees in the center of the park. The Madison Valley 4H group also helped to plant trees on the west boulevard. Unfortunately the trees on the boulevard all died. In 1997 a generous citizen sponsored a park sign explaining the history of the park, and in 2015 these kind people sponsored an addition of a flower bed. In 2017 one of the trees on the boulevard was replaced and dedicated to the memory of Shranda Logerstedt as well. This park is beautified through the many donations of citizens.
This park offers a full size basketball court, playground equipment (complete with merry-go-round) and numerous picnic tables. The rest is a large grass area to play soccer or football as a family, or even an organized group’s practice.
Dr. Edward Bertganolli, was a medical doctor serving Three Forks at the local clinic since 1949 until he retired in the 1980s. He and his wife, Patricia, raised seven children here in Three Forks. Tom, the fifth child, worked in Trident, Montana for what was then Ideal Cement Company.
Nobel R. “Steve” Stevenson came to Three Forks as the athletic coach and social science instructor in 1936. In 1940 he was elected superintendent of the Three Forks Schools. He served in this capacity until his death in 1944.
Stevenson Park offers a covered gazebo, complete with electrical hookups and enough picnic tables to seat 50 comfortably. This space can be reserved through the reservation process below. You can also request the use of our gas grill barbecue for an additional fee.
The park also offers playground equipment with swing sets and a new curly slide. There is a sand volleyball court and lots of grass to practice organized sports, or just play a family football game. This area is where the Progress Rebekah Lodge #74 hosts its annual Easter Egg Hunt.
Stevenson Park also has a tennis court which may be reserved. Originally built by Mr. McAllister, a teacher at Three Forks School, this was a cement court. The City minimally maintained the court for many years. Marcia Anderson, an avid tennis player and teacher who wishes to share the game of tennis with anyone who wants to play or learn, had the cement tennis court removed and a professional-grade court built in its place. Fencing, new rubberized court, nets and benches were all replaced with the generous donation of Ms. Anderson. What used to be referred to as “McAllister Courts” is now called the Marcia Anderson Tennis Court. The City now resurfaces the court annually.
John Q. Adams Milwaukee Park
Named for the founder of the City of Three Forks, this park houses the old Trident Depot building. The Three Forks Historical Society saved the depot when Montana Rail Link dissolved the old station. It was an original icon to the former town of Trident (also now all gone) which was more like what we could call a neighborhood today, but was a town filled with people most of whom were employed by Ideal Cement.
This park offers a large grassy area, shaded with spruce trees, picnic benches and is home to the Three Forks Chamber of Commerce’s welcoming caboose. The Historical Society has relaid train tracks within the park to give the user a real sense of the history of Three Forks as a railroad town.
The Depot is now home to more of the Historical Society’s museum artifacts.
This park also plays host to the summer Farmer’s Market.
Bellach Park & Three Forks Ponds
Edwin Bellach, Jr.
All parks are dedicated for public use. A reservation is not required to hold a birthday party, family reunion or other event. However, if one wishes to have the sole use of the gazebo in Stevenson Park for example, a reservation must first be granted by the Mayor.
Parks are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. The City Council adopted Ordinance #382-2018 on 9/11/2018 to create Title 8, Section 6: Parks.
This ordinance seeks to impose reasonable time, place and conduct controls in an appropriate and limited manner upon events and facility uses for which reservations are required.
Application, along with the applicable fee, must be submitted to City Hall for review by the Mayor prior to being granted sole use.
Questions? Please call 285-3431.
Pictures credited to Three Forks Historical Society, Wayne Walker, Laura Brewer…